LO will win out in the end, imo.  It's already gained a lot of momentum and traction.  There is a
lot to do but a lot of people are doing a lot.

Long ago there was some discussion about individuals acting as point-of-contact between certain
teams and the marketing list.  I don't think it would quite work because this a list is better when
there are a lot of people sharing ideas and information.  However, it does seem to have worked out
that Greece, Vietnam, Brazil and various other countries each seem to have 1 or 2 people that
report back here from their team. That doesn't mean those teams are small or inactive!!  Brazilian
and Vietnamese team-members appear to have been on television "raising the profile" of LO!  Perhaps
people are too busy focussing on their work for LO or are not comfortable with their  English (even
tho it's probably better than most English people's).

Someone said "First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.  Then you win."
 In my country we are still stuck on phase 1 or 2 of that.

From: Jay Lozier <jslozier@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Do You Share ODF Documents With MS Office Users?
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Wednesday, 8 August, 2012, 3:26

On 08/07/2012 08:24 PM, rob wood wrote:
From my experience of working in the IT department of a very large college
with over 10 000 computers, it has nothing to do with functionality. 99.9%
of employees use office to type letters and send emails. For the .1% that
would use advanced features, policy probably disallows them anyway. Plus,
it is fairly trivial to have different images for those that need/want them.

The reason they don't migrate is because it would create more work for the
IT department, it is that simple. Plus there is no benefit as far as the IT
department is concerned. Office 2003 works, and whoever approves the budget
is just going to accept however much is put in there for it, that is if it
is actually a separate item and not bundled in with the other microsoft
licences.

Office = safe.
LO = risky + more work.
I would second that most users do not use advanced features of any the
MSO parts. Very few can actually program/write a macro and macro
execution should normally be turned off for security reasons.

The reasons for not updating MSO version or using another office suite
(LO, AOO, etc) are roll out costs, roll out time, inertia (no real
business reason to change), and perceptions about users finding the new
suite difficult to use.

On 8 August 2012 00:11, Steve Morris <hidden> wrote:

Just my 2 cents worth. Businesses with a heavy investment in office can't
migrate to LO, as LO is not a functional replacement for office 2002, let
alone 2010. A lot of business functionality that is used from day to day
and is critical to the organisation in order for their various business
units to operate, from say excel, that libreoffice does not provide, even
in 3.6, and features that excel allows that Calc disallows (as far as I can
see for no good reason). Another reason for not migrating is also the steep
learning curve, both with front end functionality and macros, that business
cannot afford to undertake due to the loss of time and resources.

regards,
Steve

Jay Lozier