Hmmm, see i don't see LO as being cheapo lamo stuff.  The main reason i prefer it is because it
produces higher-quality output much more easily and faster.

If anything the idea of being part of a community would put me off.  I don't play well with others.
 Shocker eh?  With LO and other OpenSource stuff it turns out that the communities are more
interesting and worth joining in with.  It's good to be amongst intelligent, honourable people that
are interested in what they are working on.  Not even "just interested", people here are often
passionate about the project and that gets amazing results.

A side-effect is that most days i learn quite a lot from people that have really explored an issue
in quite some depth.  By contrast in the MS world i just found "experts" making brash statements
that turned out to be completely wrong.

In my country one company stopped making fanciful boasts or inflated claims about how much better
their product was than any of their rivals.  They came up with the line "Does what it says on the
tin", implying no fuss, no nonsense, no hype or hidden extra costs for unnecessary stuff you
wouldn't need or use.  Sales rocketed.

I think LO does have features that beat all rivals.  You are maybe too close and notice flaws more
than the gemstone.