There was some sort of add-on or something that allowed 2003 to open DocX
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/open-a-word-2007-document-in-an-earlier-version-of-word-HA010044473.aspx

Errr, that might be a bit old now.  It's for the MSO 2007 version of DocX.  This link doesn't seem
to specify which version of DocX it's for
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3